Monday 16 July 2012

CLASSIC IMAGE: YOU TALK TO ME, YOU TALK TO MY FRIENDS!


The little Rodian friend to Anakin, Wald (Warwick Davis), poses alongside a fine collection of his alien buddies from the Boonta Eve Pod Race, in this fun posed image taken on location in Tunisia during the filming of EPISODE I: THE PHANTOM MENACE.


“I felt flattered and honoured just to play that small role (of Wald the Rodian). But George felt kind of bad that I was wearing a mask again, as he’d seen me do all these things like WILLOW where I wasn’t wearing a mask. So George said, “There’s another part where you can be a spectator in the Pod race,” and he put in me in there, next to Watto.”

“While we were in Tunisia, there was one day when I wasn’t doing anything, so I decided to go out to the set just to watch what they were doing. George saw me and said “What are you doing?” I said, “It’s my day off.” He then said, “I can’t have you sitting there doing nothing, go and get something on and we’ll put you in a scene-but make sure you look different!” I got a costume and hood and went into make-up and asked them to make me look different. They put a beard on me and stuff and I ended up looking like a nomad character. So I’m in that scene as well.”


“EPISODE I was a very technical film. A lot of the time, you didn’t really get a sense of what we were doing because there was so much missing during shooting. You had to rely on descriptions from the director and possibly some storyboards to get a sense of what would be added by the computer.”

WARWICK DAVIS- JEDI JOURNAL ISSUE 2.1- SPRING 2001

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An interesting thing to note in this picture is that on the right you can see the Quarren who wears a costume reminiscent of Tessek from Return of the Jedi. In the film I think you can see him walk past the door whilst Qui-Gon is talking to Watto after the race.