Sunday 22 November 2015

CLASSIC IMAGE: THE NEXT GENERATION OF JEDI...


Having now been deemed worthy of his Jedi Knight status, especially after defeating a savage Sith Lord, young Obi-Wan Kenobi bows before Master Yoda in this great publicity image from EPISODE I. Presumably, Frank Oz was in command of the Yoda puppet for this moment, though in one barely glimpsed scene at the end of the film a certain Warwick Davis played the little green wonder when he was needed to walk alongside the Jedi Council after newly arriving on Naboo.

Davis recalled to STARLOG magazine in 2001: “I played walking Yoda. That was wonderful. They made me a Yoda outfit because I’m a little bit bigger than the Yoda puppet and a Yoda stick that’s a bit longer than Yoda’s original one. I was actually honored enough to wear Frank Oz’s actual puppetering hands.”

So far, no images of Warwick as Yoda have materialised in print/online that I'm aware of, presumably still waiting to be unearthed from Lucasfilm's vast Photo Archives...

No comments: