Thursday 13 June 2013

CLASSIC IMAGE: AN 'EMPIRE's MUSICAL MEMORIES...


I still remember that day of 21st May 1980, and what a wonderful one it was for my ten year old self. My mum, a big fan of the original STAR WARS and of the then youthful Harrison Ford, took me to a signing at FORBIDDEN PLANET bookstore in Denmark Street, where we'd meet Mark Hamill and Dave Prowse, both of whom would prove so kind, enthusiastic and friendly with the long line of fans desperately waiting to see them, then off to the then prestigious ODEON Leicester Square cinema to queue for that afternoon's exclusive 2pm screening of THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, where the epic Walker battle blew my mind, the Carbon Freezing Chamber duel between Luke and Vader left me with both awe and chills, whilst the unresolved ending made me anxious for part three to come very soon.

But the final icing on the cake was the two-disc LP music for the film by John Williams and the LSO, released via RSO, that she kindly brought me-played on and on for years in the lead-up to RETURN OF THE JEDI (how it never got any scratches I don't know!).

All in all, it was the end of a perfect day! Thanks Ma...

No comments: