Tuesday 15 February 2022

'ATTACK' AT 20: CRAFTING THE SECOND ACT...

George Lucas enjoying the company of his co-stars Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen on location in Lake Como - Summer, 2000.

“The next film is a love story and I don’t know how that is going to be taken by fans. They think of Star Wars as one kind of movie. And it’s drifting a little more-by the nature of it being a love story, it’s less of a kids’ movie because they don’t like to sit through all that yucky stuff. But it’s still aimed at the same age level, so it’s going to be a real challenge for me to get through that part.” 

GEORGE LUCAS- EMPIRE MAGAZINE- SEPTEMBER 1999

"I've used co-writers a lot. The first one I wrote myself, but the other two were co-written. Phantom I wrote myself, but when I finished it I was tired and burned out and I took a vacation for about a month. As a result of that I did four or five drafts (of EPISODE II). It was to the point where I could show the script to the crew and they could start working on things, but it was one week before we started shooting. I knew I wanted to do more work on it, but I was about to direct the movie. So I brought in Jonathan (Hales), whom I'd worked with before on Young Indy and who I trusted. We sat down and I said, 'This needs to be fixed, this needs to be fixed.' I turned into a director and I let him be the writer." 

GEORGE LUCAS - BBC ONLINE INTERVIEW - 2002

No comments: