"EVERY SAGA HAS A BEGINNING..."

Tuesday 20 November 2018

THE 'HOLIDAY SPECIAL' AT 40: A WORRYING COMMUNICATION!


At their current Rebel base location, Artoo Detoo and his master Luke Skywalker stop their in-progress repair work to soon discover that Han and Chewie are in potential danger, having not arrived for the latter's Life Day celebrations, in this moment from The Star Wars Holiday Special.

Smoking up the studio taping stage!

Returning as Luke Skywalker in a special favour to George Lucas, Mark Hamill now has short blonder hair for the special (either linked to his 1978 duration filming for the war flick The Big Red One, or possibly even wearing a wig), presumably in an unsuccessful attempt by the behind the scenes team to try and match his first film appearance in character.




Hamill reminisces about the special:
http://www.factfiend.com/carrie-fisher-copy-star-wars-holiday-special/

Hamill quote from Reddit AMA interview Jan 2014:

Oh yeah. I thought it was a mistake from the beginning. It was just unlike anything else in the Star Wars universe. And I initially said that I didn’t want to do it, but George said it would help keep Star Wars in the consciousness and I wanted to be a team player so I did it. And I also said that I didn’t think Luke should sing, so they cut that number. And now, I think we shouldn’t be ashamed of it. They should put on the extra of the DVD’s – it shows how incredibly fallible we are! At that same time, it did introduce Boba Fett in an animated sequence, so it’s significant in that respect. Plus Art Carney was in it, who is one of my favorite comedic actors of all time.

No comments: