Wednesday 26 June 2019

THE 'PHANTOM' AT TWENTY: THE MASTER PUPPETEER!


The shadowy but no less intimidating holo figure of the recently emergent Sith Lord, Darth Sidious relays his murderous and manipulative instructions to his Trade Federation allies, during the opening to EPISODE I. The ever-classy actor Ian McDiarmid reprises his villainous role onscreen sixteen years after Return of the Jedi.

"It only slowly dawned on me that if Darth Vader was really the worst creature, the most evil, the darkest, the blackest villain in movie history, I was worse than him. And I'm still slowly coming to terms with that, actually. I think my relationship with Satan is closer than I ever imagined it to be - as a character, I hasten to add."

Ian McDiarmid - US DVD press launch for EPISODE III - October 2005

Costume reference image of McDiarmid as Darth Sidious.

No comments: