Tuesday 8 October 2019

THE 'PHANTOM' AT TWENTY: BATTLING FORCES!


Now uncloaked, our Jedi heroes move into fighting position against the singular yet intimidating hostile force now properly revealed- a Sith Lord, and one ready for battle as his double-edge lightsaber is activated and an emergent animalistic murmur subtly heard.

The Duel of the Fates begins...

"I think the key was that we had a great villain who was also a great fighter. We cast a villain who was a sword fighter. When you have one of the character's who's really an expert at it, it definitely ups the ante for all the actors to do their thing."

George Lucas- 1997

Behold - the double lightsaber that blew audiences mids when it debuted in the film's first teaser trailer.

"The double-ended bit (of the lightsaber) was pretty much set when I got there (designed by Christian Gossett). The only difference was that the handle was going to be about the size of a standard lightsaber, so I asked George if I could have it bigger. It would be very hard to move something that small around my body and keep it balanced, because I'd have to hold it like that (holds his wrists close together in visual demonstration) and it would have been virtually impossible. That was my contribution to the lightsaber, basically. It allowed me to spin it around my head and do flourish movements."

Ray Park - Wizard magazine - 1999

No comments: