"EVERY SAGA HAS A BEGINNING..."

Thursday 23 December 2021

AN 'EMPIRE' AT 40: MAY THE FORCE BE WITH THEM....

Goodbye for now...

"I'm really excited about it because I think 'Empire' is better than 'Star Wars', People assume that I'm paid to say that. But what I mean is not so much better, but the story is so justifiable. I can't wait for the audience to be the jury on 'Empire' because, as before, it doesn't matter what the critics say, It's the people who go and see it. It's a perfect summer movie. I'm really excited about it. I can't wait to get onto the next one. It's a lot of fun."

Mark Hamill - Questor magazine - 1980

"First of all, I want to know what happens next and secondly, I think it's all getting more interesting. Now the STORY is emerging and people's perceptions about the characters will have to change. Like Ben Kenobi being the symbol of purity and righteousness. Well, in Empire, if he wasn't lying, he at least wasn't being 100% truthful, and I think all that is interesting. Whether audiences will agree I don't know yet. I think it's a gamble, because people may be expecting the same kind of phenomenon that he had with the first one. The kids went back to Star Wars again and again, because it always delivered that same feeling of exultation - it was very triumphant and very optimistic – but Empire is really downbeat and it raises so many questions and worries. But I think it's great we're taking this gamble…"

Mark Hamill - Starburst Magazine - 1980

“'Star Wars' was basically a “let’s get Darth Vader” storyline, all action and little dialogue. The Empire has romance, minor tragedies and characters working more off each other. Sure, it’s a fairy tale, just like the first, but it has an additional dimension.” 

Carrie Fisher - TIME magazine, May 19th, 1980

“I figure that there were at least $11 worth of entertainment in EMPIRE. So if you paid four bucks and didn’t get an ending, you’re still seven dollars ahead of the game."

Harrison Ford - The Making of Return of the Jedi book - 1982

No comments: