Tuesday 16 July 2019

THE 'PHANTOM' AT TWENTY: FIRST IMPRESSIONS LAST!


Having stowaway debarked his own Trade Federation ship, newly arrived in the Naboo forest, Qui-Gon Jinn is soon caught in the frightened animal herd caused by the advancing enemy technology. An event that will lead him into an unusual encounter with a lone exiled Gungan, Jar Jar Binks!

Storyboard of Qui-Gon and Jar Jar's close encounter!



"When George and I first started talking about this, he told me to check out Buster Keaton films. His son spoke like Jar Jar at that age, four or five. And George wanted the character to have this child-like innocence."

Ahmed Best - Premiere magazine - June 2002


Early animatic of Jar Jar's original introduction.

His 'mornin munchen' scene was ultimately never developed to full CGI.

"The ability to speak does not indicate intelligence. Now get out of here."

"I wanted to be Jar Jar Binks, I thought I could bring a certain quality to that part, but I guess I just didn't seem funky enough."

Liam Neeson - Online interview - 1999

No comments: