"EVERY SAGA HAS A BEGINNING..."

Monday 8 July 2019

THE 'PHANTOM' AT TWENTY: THE DEFIANT QUEEN!


Despite her bold defiance of the Trade Federation blockade's leaders, Queen Amidala's concern for her world and people grows, especially as her closest advisors know that invasion is surely inevitable.

"I was looking for someone who was young and strong, along the lines of Leia. Natalie embodied all those traits and more."

George Lucas - press quote - 1999

"George was really wonderful to work with. When I got there my first day, we started to rehearse. George was the one who suggested the voice and the accent. I had a a dialect coach to work with me on making up a kind of accent that we called 'the Lauren Bacall,' that had no specific accent. Then we worked on deepening my voice, which was deepened (electronically) in post-production to further distinguish between Padme and Amidala."

Natalie Portman- Starlog magazine - 1999

"George wanted to distinguish between what my voice is in real life and what the Queen would sound like. I worked with a dialogue coach for two days. We made something up to sound a bit like the old film actresses, Katherine Hepburn and Lauren Bacall, that regal tone."

Natalie Portman - Premiere magazine - 2002

No comments: