"EVERY SAGA HAS A BEGINNING..."

Wednesday 31 July 2019

THE 'PHANTOM' AT TWENTY: COSTUME DRAMA!


In mourning for both the captured people and culture of Naboo, Queen Amidala's decoy Sabe (Keira Knightley) onscreen wears a funereal black outfit when also apprehended by the Trade Federation within the Theed Palace. However, in costume reference and publicity images showcased here (taken in 1997 and 1999), Natalie Portman would wear the costume in Padme's true guise as the Queen. In total, eleven gorgeous and iconic costumes were crated for Queen Amidala/Sabe for EPISODE I.

Natalie Portman talks EPISODE I:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ra91EqeuYA

"He (George Lucas) gave me an overview of when they'd shoot the three movies and promised me I wouldn't have to miss any school, and he pretty much offered the part to me then. They'd drawn all the queens with my features, even though I hadn't been cast yet. I remember getting excited and thinking, "Hey, that looks like me."

Natalie Portman - US Premiere magazine - June 2002

With thanks to the original Across the Stars costume reference website.






An image from a later posed session for the US Premiere film magazine of 1999. Photo by Nigel Parry.

No comments: